Achille Castiglioni

Achille Castiglioni studied architecture at the Milan Polytechnic, graduating in 1944. Alongside his studies, he worked with his two brothers Livio (1911-1979) and Pier Giacomo (1913-1968) in their design studio in Milan. There, he began to experiment with shape, technique and new materials, resulting in a new process of integrated conception. Together, the Castiglioni brothers developed a new creative process following the rationalist principle ‘‘where you could not do less’’ – the search for the most minimalist form closely linked with the primary functions of the object in its simplest state. Like some of their younger architect colleagues (Ettore Sottsass and Marco Zanuso), lack of architectural projects led the Castiglioni brothers to take on design projects for Italian manufacturers wishing to boost their activity after the war. Livio left the home studio to found his own in 1952. Four years later, Achille created ADI (Associazione per il Disegno Industriale), which is still in activity. During the 1950’s and 60’s, the brothers Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni received many commissions from manufacturers such as Flos (for lighting) and Alessi, Knoll and Zanotta (for furniture)...

Available pieces:
"GRIP"